Tuesday 13 September 2016

Formal versus Informal English

Can you distinguish between formal and informal language?

Look at these examples and then have a go at the online exercise at the link below.

APOLOGISING
FORMALINFORMAL
I would just like to apologise forforgetting your birthday.I'm really sorry I forgot your birthday.
 EXPLAINING
FORMALINFORMAL
The first step would be toWhat you need to do is...
 EXPRESSING ENTHUSIASM
FORMALINFORMAL
I would just like to say I think that is excellent news.I think that's fantastic news!
 EXPRESSING PREFERENCES
FORMALINFORMAL
I would rather visit...I'd really prefer to visit...
 REQUESTING INFORMATION
FORMALINFORMAL
I would really appreciate it if you couldforward the train times to me.Can you send me the train times?
 THANKING
FORMALINFORMAL
I just want to express my sincere thanksfor all you have done.Thanks a lot for everything you did for us.
 SUGGESTING
FORMALINFORMAL
I recommend going to a Spanish restaurant.You really must go to a Spanish restaurant.


http://www.autoenglish.org/writing/formalandinformalexercise.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment